Dare to Care – http://www.daretocare.ca It was a great parent presentation tonight. Dwayne Peace spoke for 2.5 hours to a group of parents at a local secondary school. He covered all the topics but of course, couldn’t speak in depth on all as each would have been hours long. His discussion topics included our teenagers + drugs, alcohol, bullying, social media, digital harassment, parenting, teens and parent relationships, what teens want us parents to be like, and lots more. It was a very powerful parent evening and tomorrow he will be speaking to the grade 11 and 12s in the school. I believe today he presented to the grade 9/10s. In my opinion, he is a very good speaker with impact. He talks really quickly but this in itself captivates the students. His presentation to them is 3 hours long and he fills the room with information, personal information and words of wisdom for the students. It is all in hopes that the students take away something they can share or use.
It is so meaningful for us as adults to help ‘Make the Difference’. Dwayne said some strong messages to the parents such as:
* Are you parenting your children like you want them to parent your grandchildren?
* Is there enough family time set aside for your kids?
* Kids are asking for families to spend more time together.
* Are you the kind of parent that you would want your child to marry? If not, there is still time to make changes.
* Kids are most impressionable when they are between 6 and 9 years old. Keep them away from repeated viewings of violent news/video games .
* Be aware of your kids friends and their social media. Talk to your kids. Open the communication up.
* Remember that we are parents first, not buddies with our kids. The delineation between friends and parents is very strong.
There was many more excellent tidbits that he shared. One that stuck out to me was one about best friends. How girls have best friends all the time and tell their besties everything. But as we know as adults, sometimes best friends go by the wayside. Now these teen girls have told everything and when girls get mad at each other, what happens? Least we say more.. except … uh oh, oh crap!!
Dwayne had impact. We know he is one of many type of presenters around Canada and the world. But he is good. He is easy to listen to. He is funny. He is human. And he cares. This is so important. He is a dad to 5 kids. He knows about parenting. He gets it.
I only hope that others see it the same way. Please take the time to check out the Dare to Care website – http://www.daretocare.ca
I am still so tired but am glad that I was able to attend the presentation tonight with a gf. Resting up until tomorrow….. xoxo
P.S. There is Fitness Fundraiser for Amanda’s Legacy fund on the weekend. Zumba, Yoga classes, silent auction, lunch and more. Thank you to Frank, Deborah and Rosa for supporting Amanda’s legacy and continuing to move the message forward. (On the front of their building is a huge gigantic sign of Amanda and the fundraiser. I took a picture of it below.)