What an exceptional experience – the TELUS Day of Giving.
To know that over 15,000 Telus employees #givewherewelive on May 31st or thereabouts. I was fortunate enough to be invited to the Day of Giving at Science World in #vancouver where organizers and facilators of the TELUS Wise were present.
What is Telus Wise? It is program that endeavours to teach and share more about internet safety for our children and their parents/caregivers. The website has many resources that are rich in information. I was invited to speak at both their morning and afternoon sessions on cyberbullying and how it related to Amanda’s story. Once again, the feedback and comments that I received were heartwarming and so very supportive. The listening audience had a mix of young and old. The questions and responses ranged from questions to supportive comments. My morning went better than the afternoon. There is so much information to pack into 30 minutes that I easily forget what needs to be told. I just hope that the youth in the audience took away a tidbit and the parents did as well.
I think the highlights would include:
- spend more family time together with technology turned off
- get out the board games and cards
- have distraction free talk times and meal times
- get photographs printed so they can be seen and shared
- as a parent, learn what is on the digital playground to keep kids safe on it
- parents to help their kids with who the safe and trusted adults are in their lives to talk to if their parents aren’t available
Although there is much discussion occuring about telecom’s and Bill C-13, this telecom is doing something right with respect to the education of internet safety when it comes to the many products that they have within their company.
Of course, there is always room for more ideas and more growth as technology continues to morph and change each week. I applaud this company for making sure that they continue to provide us with resources and education.